SABRES LOOK TO EXTEND POINT STREAK
Saturday, 02.4.2012 / 1:14 PM ET
- Ryan Miller is expected to get the start in goal tonight
- Stafford & Ennis are both back in the lineup after missing time with the flu
- Thomas Vanek remains out tonight with an upper body injury.
- No decision on what forward will be scratched. All will take the pre-game warmup.
- Gragnani will be the odd man out on defense.
* The Sabres enter tonight’s game on a three-game point streak (2-0-1), their longest since winning four straight from Nov. 4 to Nov. 11.
* Buffalo has won its last two on the road and will look to win three straight road games for the first time since they won three in a row from Oct. 15 to Oct. 20.
* Ryan Miller tied Dominik Hasek’s franchise win record in Tuesday night’s win at Montreal. With one more win, Miller will become the winningest goaltender in franchise history, supplanting Hasek, who has held the record since Nov. 3 1998.
* Miller was credited with a shutout in Wednesday’s 1-0 shootout loss to the Rangers. His shutout streak currently stands at 120:51. The longest such streak of Miller’s career was is 161:35, from Nov. 27 to Dec.7, 2010.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
The Sabres are 9-5-3 (.618) with Tyler Ennis in the lineup… Buffalo is 18-2-2 when allowing two or fewer goals and 16-4-2 when scoring three or more… Fifteen of the Sabres’ last 18 games have been decided by two goals or less… After tonight, the Sabres will play their next four games at home.
WHAT THEY WERE SAYING
Lindy Ruff (click to hear full audio)
Will you come out hard tonight knowing the Islanders played and traveled last night?
It’s important that we get the puck down below the goalline and spend the majority of the first 10 minutes there, where sometimes a team can get stuck in back-to-back games.
Can you wear them down physically too?
I think we have to hammer on that point with their top line (Tavares/Okposo/Moulson). That line has really played well for them. They’re a tough line to control. I think Tavares has now become one of the premier younger players in the league. His stats are starting to go up, and his skating has been excellent. They’ve got some good chemistry. It’s a line we know that we have to be hard on, and we can’t give them any free opportunities.