PORTLAND REPORT: 1/12/09
Monday, 01.12.2009 / 4:22 PM ET / Features
|Nathan Gerbe (Photo: Heather Harvey)|
Week of 1/12/09
- On Friday night, Pirates rookie Nathan Gerbe had two goals in the Pirates 7-3 loss to Lowell. Gerbe currently leads the team in goal scoring with 17 goals.
- On Saturday night, Pirates forward Marek Zagrapan scored two goals and an assist in the Pirates 5-2 win over the Springfield Falcons. After the game, Zagrapan was named the Allied Home Mortgage #1 Star of the game.
- On Sunday afternoon the Springfield Falcons beat the Pirates for the first time in regulation this season. Portland is now 4-1-0-1 against Springfield this season.
- The Pirates have won eight of their last 11 home games.
- Portland has scored 39 total goals in their last 11 home games.
- After the 5-2 win over Springfield on Saturday, the Pirates are 16-0 when scoring four or more goals in a game.
- Bobby Goepfert was signed to a PTO (professional try-out contract) on Saturday and made his Pirates debut on Sunday in the Pirates 4-1 loss to Springfield. He has played 13 games with the South Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL this season and has compiled a 7-2-4 record with a 1.81 goals against average and .937 save percentage. Goepfert was named a 2007 Hobey Baker finalist after posting a 17-10-7 record in his senior season at St. Cloud State.
- Jhonas Enroth’s streak of 13 consecutive starts came to an end on Sunday afternoon. The Pirates record for consecutive starts in a season was set during the 1994-95 season when Jim Carey made 19 consecutive starts from October 1st–November 18th.
- The Pirates are 7-0-0-0 this season when leading after the first period.
- The Pirates are 17-1-0-0 this season when leading after the second period.
- The Pirates and Devils have allowed the fewest goals among the Atlantic Division teams (111).
- Portland is the least penalized team in the Atlantic Division with just 614 penalty minutes.
- Mark Mancari ranks 19th among AHL scoring leaders with 37 points (15 goals, 22 assists).
- Nathan Gerbe ranks 2nd among AHL rookies in scoring with 32 points (17 goals, 15 assists).
- Tim Kennedy leads all AHL rookies in assists with 23.
- Marc-Andre Gragnani ranks 4th among all AHL defensemen in scoring with 25 points (4 goals, 21 assists)
- Marek Zagrapan has 6 points (4 goals, 2 assists) in his last four games.
- Marek Zagrapan had his three game point-scoring streak come to an end on Sunday against Springfield.
- Nathan Gerbe had his four game point-scoring streak come to an end against Springfield on Sunday.
- Nathan Gerbe has 8 points (4 goals, 4 assists) against Springfield this season.
- The Pirates rank 15th among AHL teams in attendance averaging 4.226 fans per game.
PIRATES PLAYER OF THE WEEK: #19 Nathan Gerbe
Pirates forward Nathan Gerbe is the Pirates Player of the Week. This is the third time this season he has earned the honor. The former Boston College standout notched 7 points (2 goals, 5 assists) this week during the Pirates four games.
On Wednesday night in Lowell, Gerbe picked up a goal in the Pirates 3-2 loss against the Devils. On Friday night, Gerbe recorded two goals in the Pirates 7-3 loss to Lowell at the Cumberland County Civic Center. Saturday night, the Oxford, Michigan native notched three assists in the Pirates 5-2 win over Springfield. On Sunday, Gerbe did not register a point and ended his four game point-scoring streak. Gerbe currently leads the team in goal scoring with 17 and ranks 2nd among AHL rookies in points (32) and is 3rd among AHL rookies in goal scoring.
Portland Pirates Upcoming Schedule
|Friday January 16||7 p.m. at Providence|
|Saturday, January 17||7 p.m. vs. Manchester|
For more information, click here.