FACTS & FIGURES: WATER
Thursday, 02.5.2009 / 3:29 PM ET / Blue & Gold Make Green
Buffalo Sabres | Press Release
|(Photo: Google Images)|
While 70% of Earth's surface is covered by water, 97.5% is salt water and 2.5% is fresh water, with less than 1% readily available for human world consumption.
What can you do?
- Fix leaky faucets and toilets (A small leak from a faucet can waste 50 gallons of water a day and a leaky toilet can waste 260 gallons a day.)
- Always wash full loads of clothes and dishes. (Washing machines use 30 to 60 gallons of water for the wash cycle)
- Install high efficiency showerheads, faucets and toilets. (High efficiency showerheads, which cost about $15, can reduce water use by 50%. Water efficient toilets use 50 to 80% less water.)
- Water lawns and gardens in the evening or early in the morning to avoid excessive evaporation. (On average, about 35% of household water goes to tending yards)
- Replant your yard with native wildflowers, shrubs, grasses and groundcovers.(Native plants are less-water intensive especially in arid climates)
RELATED GREEN LINKS Mission Statement: ... More! Join the Green Team: ... More! Green News & Notes: ... More! Video Messages: ... More!