PORTLAND REPORT: 2/16/09
Monday, 02.16.2009 / 11:28 AM / Features
|Tim Kennedy (Photo: Heather Harvey)|
Week of 2/16/09
- On Tuesday night, the Portland Pirates, the AHL affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres, hosted the Albany River Rats at HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY. The crowd of 11,144 surpassed the franchise single-game attendance record for a Pirates home game.
- Felix Schutz scored the game-winning goal on a penalty shot on Friday night in Portland’s 2-1 win over the Worcester Sharks.
- The Pirates recorded three power play goals in a 6-5 shootout loss to the Providence Bruins on Saturday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center.
- On Sunday afternoon, Pirates goalie John DeCaro earned his third consecutive victory since joining the Pirates with a 7-6 shootout win against the Lowell Devils. In the game, he tied a Pirates season high for saves in a game with 44 saves. His performance included stopping all four Devils shooters in the shootout.
- Following the Pirates 7-6 shootout win over Lowell on Sunday, Pirates head coach Kevin Dineen needs just five more victories to pass Barry Trotz for the most victories in franchise history. Dineen has already passed Trotz for the most regular season wins, when he captured win number 159 against Bridgeport on January 24th.
- Only five Pirates players have played in all 54 games this season (Zagrapan, Darche, Fretter, Kostka and Whitmore)
- The Pirates are 24-2-0-0 when leading after the first period.
- Mark Mancari ranks 10th among AHL scoring leaders with 50 points (22 goals, 28 assists).
- Mathieu Darche ranks tied for 1st among AHL leaders in game-winning goals with 7.
- Jhonas Enroth ranks 3rd among AHL goalies with 1,114 saves this season.
- Nathan Gerbe ranks 3rd among AHL rookies in scoring with 37 points (20 goals, 17 assists).
- Tim Kennedy ranks 1st among AHL rookies in scoring with 45 points (12 goals, 33 assists).
- Nathan Gerbe ranks 1st among AHL rookie goal scorers with 20 goals.
- Tim Kennedy ranks 1st among AHL rookie assists leaders with 33 assists.
- Marc-Andre Gragnani ranks 3rd among AHL defensemen in scoring with 35 points (5 goals, 30 assists).
- Marc-Andre Gragnani ranks 3rd among AHL defensemen in assists with 30.
- The Pirates have allowed the second fewest goals among Atlantic Division teams (154).
- Portland is the least penalized team in the Atlantic Division with just 865 penalty minutes.
- The Pirates haven’t lost a game in regulation since February 4th in a 5-3 loss to the Worcester Sharks.
- The Pirates will play 7 of the next 9 games against Atlantic Division opponents.
- The Pirates will play their next 7 games on the road. The stretch of games starts on Tuesday night in Springfield for a 7 p.m. face-off against the Springfield Falcons.
|Saturday, February 28:||Pirates vs. Hartford 7:00 p.m.|
|Sunday, March 1:||Pirates vs. Lowell 4:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday, March 10th:||Pirates vs. Binghamton 7:00 p.m.|
|Friday, March 14th:||Pirates vs. Lowell 7:00 p.m.|
PIRATES PLAYER OF THE WEEK: #10 Tim Kennedy
Pirates forward Tim Kennedy is the Pirates Player of the Week. This is the second consecutive week and third time this season that Kennedy has earned the honor. The former Michigan State standout, notched 10 points (5 goals, 5 assists) this week during the Pirates four games.
On Tuesday night, the Buffalo, New York native recorded a goal and an assist in the Pirates 4-3 shootout loss to the Albany River Rats at HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY.
On Friday night, he tallied an assist in the Pirates 2-1 win over the Worcester Sharks. On Saturday night against Providence, he recorded a goal and three assists. It was the second time this season Kennedy recorded three assists in a game.
Kennedy finished the week with three goals in the Pirates 7-6 shootout win over the Lowell Devils. Kennedy became the fourth Pirates player this season to record a hat trick. Kennedy currently has a four game point-scoring streak. He also ranks 1st among AHL rookie assists leaders with 33 assists and 1st among AHL rookies in scoring with 45 points (12 goals, 33 assists).