RUFF DISCUSSES FINAL CUTS
NHL DEADLINE SET FOR 3 PM ON WEDNESDAY
Tuesday, 09.29.2009 / 3:34 PM ET / All News
By Erin Pollina - Sabres.com
|Lindy Ruff (Photo: Getty Images)|
|Tim Kennedy Interview
|Tyler Myers Interview
|Lindy Ruff Interview|
With 26 players still in Buffalo, Head Coach Lindy Ruff has some decisions to make to get the Sabres down to the League maximum of 23 players.
“I think the final cuts are always the toughest because you can see how much they’ve given,” Ruff said. “You know they’re giving everything to gain a spot.”
The Sabres did have 27 players on the roster, but Ruff reported that center Cody McCormick was sent down to the team’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Portland Pirates.
Nathan Gerbe, Tim Kennedy, Tyler Myers and Mike Weber remain.
“Obviously there’s the possibility that I get sent back,” Myers said. “I’ve thought about how I’d handle that if it came to that, but right now I’m going to take it day-by-day and do the best I can to stay here.”
Because of his age – Myers is only 19 years old – the blueliner does not have the option of being sent to Portland. He must either return to juniors before he plays 10 NHL games or stay with the Sabres.
Injuries may give Myers - and Ruff - some room for movement. Ruff revealed that defenseman Toni Lydman has a hand injury that may keep him out of the lineup for the season opener on Oct. 3.
“Even the last couple games he hasn’t been able to play because of it so we’ll have to evaluate,” Ruff said. “There’s a chance he may not be ready.”
Drew Stafford is also recovering from a mild concussion he sustained during the Sabres’ preseason game in Montreal and forward Adam Mair is still out after undergoing arthroscopic hip surgery last month.
Mair practiced Tuesday at HSBC Arena while Stafford skated on his own following the team's workout.
“He tested well today and we’ll see where he’s at in the next couple days,” Ruff said of Stafford. “We’ll let tomorrow play out.”