SABRES SELECT MARK PYSYK
Friday, 06.25.2010 / 10:12 PM / Team
Buffalo Sabres | Press Release
Pysyk recorded 24 points (7-17--24) playing 48 games in his second WHL season before it was cut short by a broken foot. Despite the injury, he was named the Edmonton Oil Kings Most Valuable Player, the Top Defenseman and the Scholastic Player of the Year in 2009-10.
- The first-ever Bantam draft pick (3rd overall in 2007) for the Oil Kings, an expansion team, he averaged more than 20 minutes per-game as a 16-year-old in 2008-09. He also earned a spot on Canada’s Under-18 team at the 2009 Ivan Hlinka tournament alongside fellow top-rated defensemen Erik Gudbranson and Brandon Gormley.
- His favorite number is three, but it was a number four signature that required him to wear an old jersey for his first home game after the 2010 CHL Top Prospects Game. Bobby Orr, his coach at the event, signed the jersey he had brought for the skills competition: “I had to wear my old one because the other one has a Bobby Orr autograph on it. But it's Bobby Orr! I think I was the only guy that got it signed. But why not? I can just take the number off and have that as a keepsake.”
- Pysyk models his game after Nashville defenseman Shea Weber because of his solid two-way game and he credits Dave Morrow, his best friend’s dad, for having the most influence on his career for all of his coaching out on the pond.
- One of his pre-game rituals is wearing his grandfather’s cuff links to every game and his hockey hero growing up was Jarome Iginla because his grandfather was a fan of both Iginla and the Calgary Flames.
►Pysyk One-on-One Interview
►Mark Pysyk Interview
►Darcy Regier Interview
►Kevin Devine Interview
►Pysyk Shoulders Load For Oil Kings
- NHL Team: Calgary Flames
- NHL Players: Jarome Iginla and Mike Green
- Shootout move: Top secret
- Video Game: NHL '10, FIFA '10
- Movie: Remember the Titans, Dumb and Dumber
- TV Show: Friends
- Actor: Jim Carrey
- Cartoon: Family Guy
- Website: google.com
- Book: Loonie for Luck
- Restaurant: Joey Tomatoes (Ribs)
- Sport (other than hockey): Golf, Volleyball
- Activity away from the rink: Water sports
- Breakfast food: Eggs
- Superhero: The Joker (Batman)
NHL Director of Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire
“He finished the season with a broken foot and a lot of scouts weren't able to get a good grip on how good this player's going to be in the NHL. Smooth-skating, he has a neat knack for following up the play at the right time, leading the rush at the right time and throwing a crisp pass to one of his forwards to break out of his zone.”
Edmonton Oil Kings General Manager Bob Green
"We're really proud of the way Mark has developed both as a hockey player and as an outstanding member of the community. He carried our team on his back a lot of nights this winter and the fact that he played on a broken foot for a couple of games before he was forced to end his season early shows how much character he's developed.”