FAN GUIDE: FLYERS VS. SABRES
Monday, 04.18.2011 / 10:00 AM / Sabres Fan Guide
Buffalo Sabres | Press Release
LIVE ON TSN, VERSUS, MSG-B(HD) Radio: Listen Live
- 10:00 a.m.: Sabres game-day skate
- 5:00 p.m.: Plaza Party kicks off with a performance by Lance Diamond who will play till 30 minutes before puck drop. Click here for the hour-by-hour weather report.
- 5:00.: Arena doors open.
- 7:00.:Game Time
ARENA INFO FOR TODAY'S GAME
- Tonight is Game #3 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals between the Buffalo Sabres and the Philadelphia Flyers.
- The Sabres & Flyers split the first two games in Philadelphia.
- In their last meeting, the Sabres lost 5-4 in Philadelphia where Thomas Vanek had two goals along with Cody McCormick & Andrej Sekera.
- The Sabres will be wearing their blue home jerseys for tonight's game with the Philadelphia Flyers.
- Stop by The Sabres Store or any merchandise stand throughout the Arena and purchase your Sabres Merchandise including the 2011 Roster Tee, other playoff tees, playoff hats, first round dueling pucks, pins, car flags, 3 x 5 flags, jerseys and much much more.
- Last game's Sabres Alumni 50/50 raffle was for $63,527. Don't forget to purchase your tickets. Tickets are sold up to the end of the second period.
GAME NOTES FOR TODAY'S GAME
|CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- GAME 1 RECAP
Patrick Kaleta scored the game’s only goal, and Ryan Miller turned away all 35 shots he faced to give the Sabres a 1-0 series lead… Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff is now 9-2 in Game 1 when starting a series on the road… The Sabres are 14-4 all-time in Game 1 of a playoff series with Ruff behind the bench… PHIL (40) and BUF (36) combined for 76 hits… Myers, Kaleta and Grier each had a team high 5 hits… Chris Butler led both teams with 26:04 TOI… Marc-Andre Gragnani picked his first career NHL playoff point (assist) in his first career playoff game… Drew Stafford led the Sabres with 4 shots on goal… The Flyers attempted 74 total shots.
- GAME 2 RECAP
Thomas Vanek scored two power play goals and Andrej Sekera each tallied at even strength in the 5-4 loss… The six goals between the teams in the first period were one shy of the Sabres’ franchise record for most combined goals in one period… Buffalo went 2-for-8 on the power play and killed 9 of 10 penalties… Chris Butler led both teams in ice time (27:08) for the second consecutive game… Mike Weber and Mike Grier tied to lead all skaters with six hits apiece… Rob Niedermayer led Sabres forwards in even strength TOI (11:25), picked up an assist and went 9-for-13 (69%) on the draw…
- VANEK’S POWER SURGE
After scoring two power play goals in Game 2, Thomas Vanek is part of a five way tie for 10th-most career playoff power play goals in franchise history, with five. Vanek became the fifth active Sabres skater to appear in the top ten of any playoff scoring category; four current Sabres are part of an 11-way tie for seventh with one shorthanded goal (Connolly, Grier, Pominville and Roy). Vanek is one of three Austrian players in the NHL; Philadelphia’s Andreas Nodl is the only other Austrian player active in the 2011 Playoffs.
- THE ROAD AHEAD
The Sabres have won 19 of their previous 29 series when they take a 1-0 lead… The Sabres are 3-7 all-time when splitting the first two games of a series on the road; they are 3-2 when winning the first game back at home and 0-5 when dropping to 1-2 in the series.
- A SPLIT DECISION IN PHILLY
The only other time the Sabres have returned home from Philadelphia tied at one win apiece was the 1998 conference quarterfinals. In that series, the teams also split two one-goal decisions in Philadelphia. Buffalo ended up winning the series in five games.
- THE BUTLER DID IT
Despite playing in just his first career playoff game on Thursday, Sabres defenseman Chris Butler led both teams with 26:04 of ice time, and was credited with four hits, one shot and one blocked shot. Butler followed this performance up by leading all skaters in ice time again in Game 2, this time with 27:08. Butler is one of just three Missourians playing in the NHL, and the only one active in the 2011
- HOW IMPORTANT WAS GAME 1?
In the eight all-time series between the Sabres and Flyers, the winner of Game 1 has gone on to capture the series each time.
- SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
- Blocked Shots: Gragnani (5), Montador (4), Pominville (3)
- Hits: Grier (11), Kaleta (10), Myers (9)
- Shots: Stafford (9), Vanek (5), Connolly (5)
- BUFFALO VS. PHILADELPHIA: 2010-11 RECAP
The Sabres were 2-2-0 in four regular season games against Philadelphia… They were 1-1-0 at home; 1-1-0 in Philadelphia… Three of the four games were decided by two goals or more… Thomas Vanek led the Sabres in points (7) and assists (5); Nathan Gerbe had a team-high three goals in four games… Danny Briere topped all scorers with eight points (3+5) in four games… Ryan Miller posted a Buffalo Sabres: Media Notes 3.60 GAA and .890 save% in four games.
- SABRES/FLYERS PLAYOFF HISTORY
This is the ninth playoff meeting all-time between the Sabres and Flyers… Philadelphia leads 5 series wins to 3… Philadelphia won the first four series (1975/78/95/97), before Buffalo won three (1998/2001/2006) of the next four… Philadelphia also won in 2000… There has never been a four-game sweep between these two teams, and none of the previous eight series have ever gone to seven games.
- PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE
Buffalo’s current roster has a combined 676 games of NHL playoff experience… This does not include Derek Roy’s 40 career playoff games… The roster has one Cup winner (Niedermayer, ANA in 2007), and five combined Finals appearances (Niedermayer, 3; Montador, 1; Leopold, 1)… Mike Weber, Chris Butler and Marc-Andre Gragnani made their playoff debuts in Game 1 at PHI.
- BUFFALO’S BENCH BOSS
Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff has a .573 playoff winning percentage (55-41), and has led the Sabres to the Conference Finals in four of seven playoff appearances. He is the franchise’s all-time leader in playoff games coached (96) and wins (55). His 55 wins are third among active coaches. Ruff’s 96 games coached are fifth among active coaches. Ruff’s 14 wins in the 1999 playoffs are a club record for most wins in one playoff year.
- DID YOU KNOW
Since Lindy Ruff was named Buffalo's head coach on July 21, 1997, there have been 162 coaching changes in the NHL (as of April 17/11).
- HOW THE SABRES WERE BUILT
- Draft (15): Roy, Stafford, Vanek, Gaustad, Pominville, Miller, Butler, Kaleta, Sekera, Myers, Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Gragnani, Enroth;
- Trade (3): Connolly, Hecht, Boyes; Free Agency (7): Montador, Grier, Lalime, McCormick, Morrisonn, Leopold, Niedermayer.
Have an idea for a song that you want to hear at a Sabres game? Let us know what it is by sending us a tweet. Send us a message at @SabresDotCom with a hashtag of #SABRETUNES before 12:00 p.m. on a game day and we'll try to get it into the playlist for that night's game.
|SABRES WARM-UP TUNES|
|All songs chosen by players for warm-ups.|
|3.||A Day to Remember
||All I Want
|TUNES FOR TONIGHT
|Keep an ear out for these songs at tonight's game.
||Ride the Lightning
||You Shook Me All Night Long
|FAN TUNES FOR TONIGHT
|These songs were chosen by the fans for tonight's game.
|1.||Minor Threat - Small Man, Big Mouth
|2.||Foo Fighters - Walk
|3.||Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills