FAN GUIDE: 'CANES VS. SABRES
Buffalo opens up the First Niagara Center when they take on the Carolina Hurricanes.
Friday, 10.14.2011 / 9:25 AM / Sabres Fan Guide
Buffalo Sabres | Press Release
LIVE ON NHLN-CA, MSG-B Radio: Listen Live
SCHEDULE FOR TODAY
- 10:00 a.m.: Sabres game-day skate
Open to the public & free of charge to attend
- 5:30 p.m.: Arena doors open
- 7:30 p.m.: Game Time
INFORMATION FOR FOR TONIGHT'S GAME
- Tonight is the first meeting of the year between the Sabres and Hurricanes.
- To download the complete game day program, click here!
- Buffalo played Carolina to open the preseason back on September 19, beating the 'Canes 3-1.
- Last year, Buffalo & Carolina split their series.
- The Sabres will be wearing their home blue jerseys for tonight's game.
- Stop by the Sabres Store tonight for the first featured item of the year... Snap Back Hats from New Era!
- Don't forget to purchase Alumni 50/50 tickets for tonight's game. Tickets can be purchased up to the fifteen minute mark of the second period
- Fans attending tonight's game will receive a commerative game ticket courtesy of First Niagara.
GAME NOTES FOR TODAY'S GAME
|CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- HURRICANES at SABRES
- First of four meetings between the Sabres and Hurricanes this season.
- These two teams met four times last year; Buffalo went 2-1-1; 1-1-0 at home.
- The Sabres are 5-2-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Hurricanes; 7-3-0 at home.
- This is the 180th game all-time between Buffalo and Carolina; Buffalo leads the series with a 94-61-24 record. They are 53-28-8 at home against the Hurricanes.
- The season series shifts to Carolina on Nov. 18 and Jan. 6 before returning to Buffalo on March 7.
- FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW…
The Sabres have a record of 12-4-4 against the Hurricanes since their seven-game series in the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals… Six of those 20 games have been decided in overtime or by shootout… Buffalo has gone 2-1-1 against Carolina in every year since sweeping the season series against the defending champs in 2006-07… The Sabres beat the Hurricanes in Buffalo by a score of 3-1 in their preseason opener on Sept. 19… Like Buffalo this season, Carolina won both of their games during the 2010 NHL Premiere Series in Helsinki, Finland.
- HURRICANE DEREK
Derek Roy leads all current Sabres with 28 points (12+16) in 23 career games against the Hurricanes. He has registered at least one point in each of his past five games vs. Carolina. He was a point-per-game player last year, recording 35 points (10+25) in 35 games before missing the remainder of the regular season with a quad injury. Roy contributed two assists when he last played the Hurricanes on Mar. 21, 2010, a 5-3 Buffalo win.
- THE LEVEE HELD
With only a few games remaining in the 2010-11 regular season, the Sabres beat the Hurricanes in overtime by a score of 2-1 on April 3, 2011. Jhonas Enroth made 35 saves and Marc-Andre Gragnani scored his first NHL goal, a ricocheting game-winner, to snap Carolina’s three-game win streak. The win gave seventh-seeded Buffalo breathing room in the Eastern Conference playoff race and kept the ninth-seeded Hurricanes at bay.
- 2011 NHL PREMIERE SERIES
The Sabres were one of four NHL teams to kick off their season in Europe as part of the 2011 NHL Premiere Series. The Sabres defeated Anaheim, 4-1, in Helsinki, Finland on Friday before traveling to Berlin, Germany, for a 4-2 win Saturday against Los Angeles. Each of the last three Stanley Cup Champions began their respective championship seasons in Europe as part of the NHL Premiere Series.
- LET’S PLAY TWO
Tonight’s game begins the second of Buffalo’s league-high 21 sets of back-to-back games this season. Tomorrow, they will travel to Pittsburgh for a meeting with the Penguins. So far, the Sabres are 2-0-0 in back-to-back games after sweeping their first set as part of the 2011 NHL Premiere Series. The Sabres also led the league in back-to-back sets last season, with 22.
- CAPTAIN POMINVILLE
Jason Pominville has been selected to wear the captain’s “C” for the Sabres, becoming the 16th full-time captain in franchise history (excluding rotating captaincies in 2003-04 and 2007-08). The Sabres’ 2001 second-round draft pick (55th overall) succeeds Craig Rivet, who was waived by the Sabres and claimed by Columbus in February 2011. Previously, Pominville was one of four players to serve as captain during the 2007-08 season, and was the last to wear the “C” (March/April 2008) before Rivet was named captain in Oct. 2008.
- SCHEDULE BREAKDOWN
After tonight’s game, the Sabres will depart on a four-game road trip. Aside from April (3 games), October is the team’s lightest month (10 games). For the third straight year, March is the team’s busiest month with 16 games (6 home/10 away) in 31 days. Over the first 11 weeks of the season, Buffalo will play back-to-back Friday/Saturday games nine times –including every weekend in November.
Have an idea for a song that you want to hear at a Sabres game? Let us know what it is by sending us a tweet. Send us a message at @SabresDotCom with a hashtag of #SABRETUNES before 12:00 p.m. on a game day and we'll try to get it into the playlist for that night's game.