FAN GUIDE: LIGHTNING VS. SABRES
Buffalo caps of a home-and-home series with the Lightning tonight at 7:30 PM
Tuesday, 10.25.2011 / 10:06 AM / Sabres Fan Guide
Buffalo Sabres | Press Release
LIVE ON VERSUS(HD), TSN2 Radio: Listen Live
SCHEDULE FOR TODAY
- 10:00 a.m.: Sabres game-day skate
Open to the public & free of charge to attend
- 5:30 p.m.: Arena doors open
- 7:30 p.m.: Game Time
- Tonight's game night program can be downloaded here.
- Tonight is the second meeting of the year between the Sabres and Lightning.
- Tampa Bay won the first meeting in Florida last Saturday, beating the Sabres 3-0.
- Buffalo and Tampa Bay split their series last year 2-2.
- The Sabres will be wearing their home blue jerseys for tonight's game.
- Don't forget to purchase Alumni 50/50 tickets for tonight's game. Tickets can be purchased up to the fifteen minute mark of the second period. Last game, the 50/50 pot was over $
MOE'S HOT PLAYERS
The Moe's Hot Players of the Night are Jason Pominville, Luke Adam & Tyler Myers.
If any of the three (3) selected hot players (announced pre-game) score a goal during tonight's game, fans can redeem their free gamenight program for 50% off their purchase the following day, only at participating Moe's restaurants.
MOE'S HOT PLAYERS HAT TRICK
If any of the three (3) selected hot players (announced pre-game) score a goal during tonight's game, fans can redeem their free gamenight program for a free burrito at all participating Moe's restaurants.
SUBWAY SCORE 3 OR MORE
If the Sabres score three (3) or more goals during tonight's game, fans can redeem their game ticket for a free 6" Subway sub with a purchase of 30oz. drink the following day only at participating Subway restaurants.
GAME NOTES FOR TODAY'S GAME
|CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
LIGHTNING at SABRES
- Second of four meetings between the Sabres and Lightning this season.
- The Lightning beat the Sabres in Tampa Bay, 3-0, on Saturday.
- These two teams met four times last year; Buffalo went 2-2-0; 1-1-0 at home.
- The Sabres are 6-4-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Lightning; 7-3-0 at home.
- This is the 72nd game all-time between Buffalo and Tampa Bay; Buffalo leads the series with a 46-20-5 record. They are 22-11-2 at home against the Lightning.
- The next time these teams will face each other is Feb. 11 in Buffalo, before returning to Tampa Bay on March 19 to finish out the regular season series.
The Sabres begin a season-high five-game home stretch tonight… Ryan Miller is 10 wins from overtaking Dominik Hasek’s franchise record of 234… The Sabres are 44-22-6 in October since the lockout… Buffalo has killed 20 of 22 penalties (91%) in 2011-12… With tonight’s game, Andrej Sekera passes Grant Ledyard for 25th-most games by a Sabres defenseman (241)… Jason Pominville has 19 points (6+13) in his last 16 regular season games, dating back to 3/25/11 vs. FLA… Buffalo is 21-6-4 since Terry Pegula purchased the team… Tonight is Brad Boyes’ 500th consecutive game.
HOW THEY STACK UP (Sabres’ league rankings before 10/24 games)
- Vanek: 3 PPG (T-2nd), 30 S (3rd), 2 GWG (T-3rd), 6 G (T-3rd), 10 P (T-4th)
- Pominville: 7 A (T-4th), 9 P (T-10th)
- Sekera: plus-6 (T-3rd)
- Miller: 4 W (T-3rd), .950 SV% (4th), 1.61 GAA (6th)
- Adam: 6 P (T-2nd, rookies), 3 A (T-2nd, rookies), 3 G (3rd, rookies)
- Gragnani: 3 A (T-2nd, rookies)
Ryan Miller is 17-5-0 all-time against TBL with a 2.71 GAA… Jason Pominville leads all Sabres with 31 career points against TBL (13+18) …Thomas Vanek leads the team with 22 goals in only 25 games, one shy of his career-best 23 against Boston (40 GP).
LIGHTNING GOALIES STRUGGLE AGAINST SABRES
Despite a shutout performance by Lightning goaltender Mathieu Garon the last time these two teams met on Saturday, the Sabres have typically fared well against Tampa Bay’s current goaltenders. Garon is 2-7-0 in his career against the Sabres with a 3.14 GAA and a .889 SV%. Dwayne Roloson has struggled even more against his former team, going 0-7-2 with a 4.05 GAA and a .844 SV%, his worst stats against any NHL team.
VANEK MOVING UP THE CHARTS
Thomas Vanek’s 210 career goals are one shy of Alexander Mogilny’s total for 10th-most all-time by a Sabre. His 36 game-winners are fifth-most in Sabres history, two behind Dave Andreychuk for fourth-most by a Sabre all-time. Buffalo Sabres: Media Notes
Vanek has scored 31 points (15+16) in his last 24 regular season games, dating back to Mar. 5. In those 23 games, he has not gone more than one game without recording a point. Entering Sunday night, Vanek trailed only Corey Perry and Jarome Iginla in goals during that stretch, and tied Martin St. Louis for fourth in points behind Daniel Sedin, Jason Spezza and Perry.
HOME SWEET HOME
The Sabres are back home after wrapping up a road trip that saw them pick up six of a possible eight points (3-1-0). Tonight’s game will kick off a five-game home stretch ending with a matchup with Calgary on Nov. 4. The home stand will be the first of two five-game tints at home, the longest such stretches for the team this season. The next one will take place between Dec. 7 vs. PHI and Dec. 16 vs. TOR.
OUTSTANDING IN OCTOBER
Since the lockout, October has been Buffalo’s second-best month (trailing only April). The Sabres have a 44-22-6 (.653) record in 72 October games during that period. The Sabres play 10 games in October (5 home, 5 away) this season. They have just one break of three days or more during the month (10/9-10/13) and two sets of back-to-back games. They play seven games against Eastern Conference opponents and three against teams from the West.
Boyes enters tonight’s game as the team’s leader in consecutive games played (499). Boyes has the NHL’s third-longest active ironman streak, and has never missed a game due to injury in his NHL career. He trails only Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
Since Lindy Ruff was named Buffalo's head coach on July 21, 1997, there have been 163 coaching changes in the NHL. Ruff is the third-longest tenured coach in the four major professional sports leagues. Tony LaRussa (St. Louis Cardinals) and Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs) both began coaching their teams in 1996.
THE ARBOUR CLUB
Lindy Ruff has 531 wins as head coach of the Sabres, second-most by a head coach with a single franchise, trailing only Al Arbour (740). Ruff has more wins than any other coach with his first NHL team.
Download your copy of the official game notes by clicking here.
Have an idea for a song that you want to hear at a Sabres game? Let us know what it is by sending us a tweet. Send us a message at @SabresDotCom with a hashtag of #SABRETUNES before 12:00 p.m. on a game day and we'll try to get it into the playlist for that night's game.