FAN GUIDE: PANTHERS VS. SABRES
Buffalo takes on Florida in their second meeting of the year.
LIVE ON MSG-B Radio: Listen Live
SCHEDULE FOR TODAY
- 10:00 a.m.: Sabres game-day skate
Open to the public & free of charge to attend
- 5:00 p.m.: Arena doors open
- 5:00 p.m.: Labatt Blue Light Tailgate Tent Party opens.
- 7:00 p.m.: Game Time
- Tonight's game night program can be downloaded here.
- Tonight is the second meeting of the year between the Sabres and Panthers.
- In their first meeting of the year - the Sabres shutout the Panthers 3-0 in Sunrise Florida.
- The teams will play two more times after tonight; December 9th in Buffalo and March 17 in Florida .
- The Sabres will be wearing their dark blue jerseys for tonight's game.
- The Labatt Blue Light Tailgate Tent Party kicks off at 5:00 p.m. today. Sabres forward Tyler Ennis will be making a special appearance to kick off the tent parties. Tickets can be purchased by clicking here.
- Don't forget to purchase Alumni 50/50 tickets for tonight's game. Tickets can be purchased up to the fifteen minute mark of the second period. Last game, the 50/50 pot was over $10,000.
MOE'S HOT PLAYERS
The Moe's Hot Players of the Night are Derek Roy, Patrick Kaleta & Paul Gaustad.
If any of the three (3) selected hot players (announced pre-game) score a goal during that tonight's game, fans can redeem their free GameNight program for 50% off their purchase tomorrow, at all participating Moe's restaurants. If any of the three (3) selected hot players score a hat trick during that tonight's game, fans can also redeem their free GameNight program for a free burrito at all participating Moe's restaurants.
SUBWAY SCORE 3 OR MORE
If the Sabres score three (3) or more goals during tonight's game, fans can redeem their game ticket for a free 6" Subway sub with a purchase of 30oz. drink tommorow at participating Subway restaurants.
Each time a Sabres player scores a hat trick inside First Niagara Center, New Era will make a monetary donation to charity per cap thrown onto the ice. Any hats thrown onto the ice and not claimed will be donated as well.
NEW ERA SCORE MORE
For every goal scored by the Sabres at that night’s game, fans can save a dollar per goal on their purchase of any cap tomorrow at the New Era Buffalo Store when they show their ticket stub.
GAME NOTES FOR TODAY'S GAME
|CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
PANTHERS at SABRES
- -Second of four meetings between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
- -Buffalo defeated Florida, 3-0, in Florida on Thursday, Oct. 20; Ryan Miller got his 23rd career shutout.
- -The Sabres are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Panthers; 7-3-0 at home.
- -This is the 70th game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo leads the series with a 41-24-4 record.
- -Buffalo is 23-9-3 at home against the Panthers all-time.
- -These two teams met four times last year; Buffalo went 2-2-0; 1-1-0 at home.
- -The two teams will next meet on Dec. 9 in Buffalo.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Tonight is Buffalo’s third game of a season-high five-game home stretch… Jhonas Enroth improved to 9-0-1 in his last 10 decisions and 11-3-2 in his career with a win Thursday vs. CBJ… Brad Boyes has recorded consecutive multi-point games for the first time since Nov. 17-19, 2010… Buffalo is 1-3-0 vs. Southeast Division opponents; Florida is 1-2-0 vs. the Northeast… Ryan Miller is 10 wins from overtaking Dominik Hasek’s franchise record of 234… Buffalo has killed 29 of 31 penalties (93.6%) in 2011-12… Jason Pominville has 23 points (8+15) in his last 18 regular season games, dating back to 3/25/11 vs. FLA… The Sabres are 5-1-0 when outshot by their opponent… Buffalo is 22-7-4 since Terry Pegula purchased the team.
HOW THEY STACK UP (Sabres’ league rankings before 10/28 games)
- Vanek: 14 P (2nd), 7 G (3rd), 37 S (3rd), 2 GWG (T-3rd), 3 PPG (T-3rd)
- Pominville: 9 A (T-2nd), 13 P (T-3rd)
- Sekera: plus-7 (T-2nd)
- Adam: 5 A (T-1st, rookies), 8 P (T-2nd, rookies), 3 G (T-3rd, rookies)
- Gragnani: 3 A (T-5th, rookies)
- Miller: 4 W (T-5th)
Ryan Miller is 12-7-0 all-time against FLA with a 2.33 GAA… Jason Pominville leads all Sabres with 25 career points (9+16) in 24 games against FLA… Thomas Vanek leads the team with 15 goals in 24 career games against the Panthers.
After killing off all six penalties Thursday vs. CBJ, Buffalo’s penalty kill is ranked second in the league at 93.6% (29-for-31). The team ended the 2010-11 season by going 48-for-52 (92.3%) on the kill in their last 17 games to finish 13th in the league at 83.0%. Ryan Miller has a save percentage of .940 while shorthanded this season.
Quick Starter Thomas Vanek’s 14 points (7+7) after nine games already tie the second-best total by a Sabre through 10 games since Pat LaFontaine scored 29 in the first 10 games of the 1992-93 season. In 2006-07, Maxim Afinogenov had 16 points after 10 games and Chris Drury had 14.
MOVING UP THE CHARTS
On Thursday, Vanek recorded three assists, becoming the 12th player in Sabres history to notch 400 career points. Vanek’s 211 career goals tie Alexander Mogilny’s total for 10th-most all-time by a Sabre. He needs five more goals to tie Don Luce for ninth.
Vanek has scored 35 points (16+19) in his last 27 regular season games, dating back to Mar. 5. In those 26 games, he has not gone more than one game without recording a point. Vanek is tied with Jarome Iginla for second-most goals during that stretch (trailing only Corey Perry) and ranks fourth in points behind Daniel Sedin, Jason Spezza and Perry (37 each).
The Sabres are back home after wrapping up a road trip that saw them pick up six of a possible eight points (3-1-0). Tonight’s game is the third in a five-game home stretch ending with a matchup with Calgary on Nov. 4. The home stand is the first of two five-game stints at home this season, the longest such stretches for the team in 2011-12. The next one will take place between Dec. 7 vs. PHI and Dec. 16 vs. TOR.
OUTSTANDING IN OCTOBER
Since the lockout, October has been Buffalo’s second-best month (trailing only April). The Sabres have a 45-23-6 (.649) record in 74 October games during that period. The Sabres play 10 games in October (5 home, 5 away) this season. They have just one break of three days or more during the month (10/9-10/13) and two sets of back-to-back games. They play seven games against Eastern Conference opponents and three against teams from the West.
Boyes enters tonight’s game as the team’s leader in consecutive games played (501). Boyes has the NHL’s third-longest active ironman streak, and has never missed a game due to injury in his NHL career. He trails only Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
Since Lindy Ruff was named Buffalo's head coach on July 21, 1997, there have been 163 coaching changes in the NHL. Ruff is the third-longest tenured coach in the four major professional sports leagues. Tony LaRussa (St. Louis Cardinals) and Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs) both began coaching their teams in 1996.
THE ARBOUR CLUB
Lindy Ruff has 532 wins as head coach of the Sabres, second-most by a head coach with a single franchise, trailing only Al Arbour (740). Ruff has more wins than any other coach with his first NHL team.
Download your copy of the official game notes by clicking here.
Have an idea for a song that you want to hear at a Sabres game? Let us know what it is by sending us a tweet. Send us a message at @SabresDotCom with a hashtag of #SABRETUNES before 12:00 p.m. on a game day and we'll try to get it into the playlist for that night's game.