FAN GUIDE: JETS VS. SABRES
Buffalo caps of back-to-back games with a 7:00 PM match-up with the Winnipeg Jets.
LIVE ON MSG-B Radio: Listen Live
SCHEDULE FOR TODAY
- 11:00 a.m.: Sabres meeting at First Niagara Center
- 5:00 p.m.: Labatt Blue Light Tailgate Tent Party opens.
- 5:00 p.m.: Arena doors open
- 7:00 p.m.: Game Time
- Tonight's game night program can be DOWNLOADED HERE.
- Tonight is the second meeting of the year between the Sabres and the Jets. The Sabres won the first meeting of the year 6-5 in Buffalo.
- The Sabres will be wearing their blue jerseys for tonight's game.
- The Labatt Blue Light Tailgate Tent Party kicks off at 5:00 p.m. today. Tickets can be purchased by CLICKING HERE.
- Don't forget to purchase Alumni 50/50 tickets for tonight's game. Tickets can be purchased up to the fifteen minute mark of the second period.
MOE'S HOT PLAYERS
The Moe's Hot Players of the Night Luke Adam, Jason Pominville & Tyler Myers.
If any of the three (3) selected hot players (announced pre-game) score a goal during that night's game, fans can redeem their free GameNight program coupon(page 20) for 50% off their entree tomorrow, at all participating Moe's restaurants. If any of the three (3) selected hot players score a hat trick during that night's game, fans can also redeem their free GameNight program for a free burrito at all participating Moe's restaurants.
SUBWAY SCORE 3 OR MORE
If the Sabres score three (3) or more goals during tonight's game, fans can redeem their game ticket for a free 6" Subway sub with a purchase of 30oz. drink tomorrow only at participating Subway restaurants.
Each time a Sabres player scores a hat trick inside First Niagara Center, New Era will make a monetary donation to charity per cap thrown onto the ice. Any hats thrown onto the ice and not claimed will be donated as well.
NEW ERA SCORE MORE
For every goal scored by the Sabres at that night’s game, fans can save a dollar per goal on their purchase of any cap tomorrow at the New Era Buffalo Store when they show their ticket stub.
GAME NOTES FOR TODAY'S GAME
|CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
JETS vs. SABRES
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Jets this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Winnipeg, 6-5, in Buffalo on Nov. 8.
- The Sabres are 6-2-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Jets; 7-1-2 at home.
- This is the 46th game all-time between Buffalo and Winnipeg; Buffalo leads the series at 21-14-10.
- These teams meet next in Winnipeg on Jan. 19.
- Buffalo is 13-6-3 all-time at home against the Jets. The Jets/Thrashers franchise has lost its last four games in Buffalo, with their last win coming on Oct. 17, 2009.
- Tonight is Sabres captain Jason Pominville’s 500th career game. Pominville will become the third player to reach the 500-game mark with the Sabres in the 2011-12 season (27th in franchise history), after Thomas Vanek and Derek Roy accomplished the same feat on Dec. 16 vs. TOR.
- Derek Roy has recorded at least one point in his last six games against the Jets, totaling nine points in that span (5+4). Roy has more points against the Jets (12+20=32) than any other non-divisional opponent.
- The Sabres have points in their last five games at home, their longest such streak of the season.
- Tonight wraps up Buffalo’s 11th back-to-back set of the season after last night’s 4-2 loss at Carolina. The Sabres enter tonight’s game 2-3-0 on the season when playing a rested team on the second half of a back-to-back set. Both Buffalo victories were 3-2 regulation wins on the road.
Derek Roy left last night’s game with an upper body injury; the Sabres are 13-2-3 when Derek Roy records a point…Buffalo is 8-2-2 against Canadian teams this season (5-0-2 at home)… After finishing the year 2010 in 12th place and 10 points out of playoff position, the Sabres rallied to a 28-11-6 finish from January 2011 onward to make the playoffs last year.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings entering tonight’s game)
Vanek: 8 PPG (T-3rd), 19 G (T-6th)
Pominville: 28 A (T-6th), 42 P (T-9th)
Gaustad: 56.6 FO% (7th)
Adam: 10 G (4th, rookies), 20 P (7th, rookies), 10 A (T-10th, rookies)
Gragnani: plus-12 (1st, rookies)
Ryan Miller is 12-2-5 all-time in 21 games against WPG with a 2.62 GAA… Thomas Vanek leads all Sabres with 16 goals in 24 career games the Jets… Derek Roy tops all Buffalo skaters with 32 points (12+20) in 25 career games against Winnipeg.
THE HOMEGROWN TRIO
With Jason Pominville playing his 500th NHL game tonight, the Sabres will have had three players (Thomas Vanek and Derek Roy are the others) reach 500 games as a Sabre in the same season. This is the first time in franchise history three players drafted and developed by the Sabres will have reached 500 games with the team in the same season. With Pominville recording his 400th point last night at CAR, all three have reached that milestone this season as well. There have been two previous incidences of Sabres reaching 500 games in Buffalo in the same season, but neither occurrence featured three players in their first 500 games with any NHL team: 1977-78 (Craig Ramsay, Don Luce and Rick Martin) and 2003-04 (Curtis Brown, Jay McKee and Miroslav Satan).
Sabres defenseman Brayden McNabb has been selected to participate in the AHL All-Star game. McNabb has appeared in 19 games for the Rochester Americans this season, recording 10 points (1+9). In Buffalo, McNabb has four points (1+3) in 17 games.
CHIPPING IN FROM THE BLUE LINE
Defenseman Jordan Leopold has six points (2+4) in his last eight games. Leopold has led the Sabres in ice time in six of those eight games, averaging 24:14 during that stretch.
VANEK RISING IN THE RECORD BOOKS
With his goal last night, Thomas Vanek passed Rene Robert for eighth-most goals in franchise history (223). Vanek’s goals per gametotal ranks sixth-best in franchise history among players with at least 100 goals. He trails only Pat LaFontaine, Rick Martin, Alexander Mogilny, Danny Gare and Dave Andreychuk in that category.
Sabres captain Jason Pominville has recorded a point in 30 of Buffalo’s 40 games this season, only having gone two straight contests without a point one time. The Sabres are 10-3-0 this season when Pominville scores.
NEW YEAR, NEW ATTITUDE
January has been Buffalo’s best month by a wide margin since 2008-09, with the Sabres going 26-11-4 (.683). Since the lockout, Buffalo has a 42-27-10 (.595) record in January.
POINT PER GAME
Two Buffalo skaters have averaged more than a point per game dating back to last season: Thomas Vanek has scored 61 points (28+33) in his last 57 regular season games, dating back to Mar. 5. Jason Pominville has scored 52 points (18+34) in his last 49 regular season games, dating back to Mar. 25, 2011 vs. FLA.
Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville have recorded a point on the same goal 30 times this season, trailing only Daniel and Henrik Sedin (36) for most by any duo in the league. At least one of the two has recorded a point on 51 of the team’s 104 goals (49.0%).
Buffalo currently has four players on injured reserve and another one who sat out last night’s game. In all, 18 Sabres have missed at least one game with injury entering tonight's game. Buffalo’s total of 178 man games lost after 40 games is 86 more than they had at that point last season, but their record (18-18-4) is better than it was at this point last season, when they were eight points out of playoff position with a 17-18-5 record.
LET'S PLAY TWO
Today’s game wraps up Buffalo’s 11th of a league-high 21 sets of back-to-back games this season after a 4-2 loss at CAR last night. The Sabres are 6-5-0 in the first game and 5-4-1 in the second. The Sabres have swept two sets, split seven and gotten one point in one.
BUSY IN JANUARY
The Sabres play 12 games in January (3 home, 9 away). Their only break longer than two days is the All-Star break, when they have six days between games (Jan. 24 and 31). Eight of the 12 January games are against Eastern Conference opponents. After the team’s Jan. 13 home game vs. TOR, they will be on the road for a season-high seven straight games.
Buffalo has dressed nine rookies this season, the highest total dressed by the team in a single season since 2006-07, when the team dressed 10. Buffalo dressed a franchise-record 12 rookies in the 1995-96 season. The Sabres’ 30 skaters and 33 total players dressed this season are the highest totals for the Sabres since they dressed exactly that many in the 2006-07 season.
Since Lindy Ruff was named Buffalo's head coach on July 21, 1997, there have been 169 coaching changes in the NHL. Ruff is the second-longest tenured coach in the four major professional sports leagues. Only Gregg Popovich, who began coaching the San Antonio Spurs in 1996, has been head coach of his team longer. Ruff has 544 wins as head coach of the Sabres, second-most by a head coach with a single franchise, trailing only Al Arbour (740). Ruff has more wins than any other coach with his first NHL team.
Download your copy of the official game notes by clicking here.
Have an idea for a song that you want to hear at a Sabres game? Let us know what it is by sending us a tweet. Send us a message at @SabresDotCom with a hashtag of #SABRETUNES before 12:00 p.m. on a game day and we'll try to get it into the playlist for that night's game.